Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He ate my big dogs 75 mg chewable carprofen. Should I take…

He ate my big...

He ate my big dogs 75 mg chewable carprofen. Should I take him to induce vomiting?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

He’s about 13 and weighs about 18 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Rocky

3/18/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

75 mg/18 lbs = 4.2 mg/lb

In otherwise healthy dogs, a review of the ASPCA APCC database historically indicated that fairly severe gastrointestinal signs may be seen at doses exceeding 9 mg/lb and that diuresis to prevent renal damage should be recommended at 18 mg/lb and above (ASPCA APCC Database: Unpublished data, 2001-2009). Rocky will remain safe. Any evidence of gastrointestinal distress (inappetence, vomiting, diarrhea) can be addressed with the over the counter antacid omeprazole (Prilosec) dosed at 10 mg once. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Perfect thank you. I’ll give him 10 mg of pepcid

You're quite welcome. Recent studies have shown that neither famotidine (Pepcid) nor ranitidine (Zantac) raise the stomach pH appreciably in dogs. That's a shame as most of us have recommended famotidine for dogs for years. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian