Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

8 year old retriever mix hasn't eaten in 5 days and is

Customer Question
8 year old retriever...

8 year old retriever mix hasn't eaten in 5 days and is running a temperature of 106.5 (taken yesterday). She's been on Doxycycline since Wednesday. My vet ran usual blood tests and all was normal. She drools occasionally which is very uncharacteristic. Drool is clear and mucus-like. She hasn't eaten since last Sunday, but is still drinking water. Neither of my vets have been able to come up with a reason for this mysterious infection. This is the second occurrence, the first being the end of January. She was started on Cephalexin, but didn't tolerate it well so we started on the doxy. She started eating almost immediately and recovered within a week and has been back to normal since.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Bella

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?

She is alert, other than being lethargic. She responds to her name and goes outside when she needs to pee. Except for the lethargy, fever, refusal to eat she is acting normal.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/18/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Bella is sick. I'm glad that treatment with doxycycline was started. It's possible that the antibiotic is working and Bella just needs supportive care, including IV fluids and anti-inflammatory medications to bring that fever down, as well as an appetite stimulant to get her to eat. I also recommend an anti-nausea medication called Cerenia, because the drooling and lack of appetite could be due to nausea. If her temperature was in fact that high, she could develop brain damage, so I would get her to the vet right away to have her fever treated.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian