Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She ate a pot brownie on Friday. She came around after a few…

She ate a pot...

She ate a pot brownie on Friday. She came around after a few hrs seemed to be back to normal. This am woke up and she is favouring her back leg and doesn't seem to be feeling good. She had had runny stool with what appears to be a sanity pad... so I assume the day she got the brownie she also ate pads from bathroom garbage. Her belly isn't hard and she let's me push on her and she shows no signs of discomfort...I live on a small island with no vet service...any advice?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

She is a Alaskan Huskey and she is 5 years old. I rescued her at 7 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Oh sorry Kodah

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Nope she has been a very healthy dog. I was not informed of any health issues from the spca I got her from

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Ok

Thank you for your question. Ok. The favoring of the back leg shouldn't be due to her having eaten something. Physically with favoring a leg, the concern goes toward physically injuring it. With a back leg, could it have hit on something or twisted? At home, the best you can do for this is to let her rest so she doesn't further stress it. Time may be the big part of that improving. If it isn't getting better, then an anterior cruciate injury starts to be suspect as that is one of the more common rear leg injuries. It just started today, so see what some time does for it. As far as the little bit of sanity pad in the stool, that has my attention. Could she have eaten more and it is causing a blockage? What I'd be watching closely for is vomiting. That would be a huge red flag for possibly that going on. Could her stomach be a little off and just need time to get quiet again? The best you can do for her at home is to let her rest and to maybe feed her some bland food - 1/3 chicken with 2/3 white rice for a day or two.

OK. I wasn't sure if her staining to poo could have in some way strained her maybe. She was not favouring her leg at all last evening when I went to bed. This is something new.... she isn't vomiting at all and she is drinking fluids in small amounts. I've been monitoring her very closely since Friday because of the brownie :( it was super old and chocolate (was a gag gift..NOT FUNNY) I had thrown in trash and she dug for it...I normally remove all garbage each morning before I leave as she gets "upset" with me when I leave.

The straining to defecate most likely is irritation in the colon due to the things she's eat that have upset it. Could she have slipped while posturing to go? Not impossible, but usually they do things when running and playing. That is great that she's not vomiting and is drinking! I'm hopeful that some time and rest will go a long way for her here!

She may have slipped as we still have a fair amount of snow and she runs to come inside. Only huskey I've seen that likes to be inside rather than be outside any amount haha she is a large lapdog

Lapdogs come in all shapes and sizes! :) I'm glad that she's such a social girl. I would be more suspect for slipping in the snow and ice. Hopefully with some rest and time here things get back to normal. Give her a little ear rub for me since I can't.

I absolutely will. Thank you!!!!

Absolutely no problem! I'm hoping for the best for her!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian