Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 5yr old Chihuahua mix is lathargic and can't stand. He…

My 5yr old Chihuahua...

My 5yr old Chihuahua mix is lathargic and can't stand. He seems disoriented and weak.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Ivan

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Ivan?

5yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ivan?

He was perfectly normal right up to the moment he couldn't stand and seemed to get weak and tired as time progressed

3/18/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Ivan is lethargic and appears disoriented. Is it possible that he could have gotten into something toxic, such as household cleaner?

The thought occurred to me and I did a sweep of the house to see if anything had been left out. There was nothing.

Has he been outside unsupervised lately?

No, he only goes out to relieve himself and on walks with a leash
There is a hospital about 30 miles away.

Okay, how long ago was this episode, and how long did it last? And he's fine now, correct?

He's still just laying still. When he tries to get up he wobbles and slumps over. It started about 3 am. He has vomited once and it wasn't much b
His breathing seems fine, not labored not shallow. And he seems sensitive to light
I was wondering if it was Vestibular syndrome. There are not vet offices opened in the area

Is he tilting his head to one side, or rolling to one side?

he seems to be tilting like he doesn't have strength. His eyes are mostly shut only opening them halfway and closing them right away
I just got off the phone with the hospital. It's about 27 miles from here. I'm bringing him in to be seen.

That does sound like a vestibular problem, which can be caused by a few different things, including middle and inner ear infections, tick-borne diseases, cancer, and others. I think your plan to take him to the vet is a good one. They will want to do a thorough neurological exam and probably do some blood testing to rule out metabolic causes of neurological signs, such as liver disease.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you so much. I'm so worried

You're very welcome. I wish you the best of luck with your baby.