Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 7 month old puppy woke up Friday morning and was

My 7 month old...

My 7 month old puppy woke up Friday morning and was vomiting. He continued vomiting throughout the day so we brought him to vet. Vet gave him a shot to stop vomiting but now he has diarrhea. Started with it yesterday and still has it today. He is definitely more lethargic and is barely eating. I gave him some cottage cheese which he did eat a little of, but that’s it. Is drinking water..not a ton but a little. What else can I do for him? I’m very worried..

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

No, that’s all I can think of. He gets little bursts of energy and runs around but then back to laying down. This is the dog that is usually FULL of energy 24-7. It’s possible he could have gotten into something as he’s quite adventurous. The vet felt his stomach on Friday and didn’t think there was anything..

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

I see they gave a shot, but was he sent home with any medication. If so, which ones?

What tests were done?

What does the diarrhea look like? Any blood?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human medications/drugs, etc)?

He was sent home with Cerenia. I haven’t given it to him though since he isn’t vomiting now just has diarrhea. His gums are still pink and I would say moist. When I press on his stomach, he doesn’t seem to be in any discomfort. He could have gotten into something very possibly, but I don’t know what. He’s a chewer and tried to destroy my ugg boots so I saw fur from them on the floor the other day. We also live in a very wooded area so possibly something outside that I’m not aware of..

Hello again,

Now if he is a chewer, we do need to tread with care. However, at this stage, we can start some supportive care. First, given that he isn't eating well, you are best giving the Cerenia. Appetite loss is something we do see with nausea even when they are no longer actively vomiting. So, do give that so we can get him eating properly and can just head off a blood sugar drop for him.

Otherwise, once we do that we can tackle the diarrhea. For that, after he has had the Cerenia we would hope to see his appetite improve allowing us to start an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset/diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Furthermore, if he is very loose, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI. And of course, if we couldn't settle him with this, then we'd want him reassessed by his vet and a stool sample tested.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.