Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 13 year old diabetic Russel. He is on 8.5units

I have a 13 year...
I have a 13 year old diabetic Jack Russel. He is on 8.5units vetsulin twice per day. Vet keeps on pushing up insulin dosage but no glucose curves as he stresses too much when taken to vet. I think his dosage is too high
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

I am sorry to hear Buddy is diabetic. If the dose of insulin were too high, he would probably be having episodes of low blood sugar: confusion, vomiting, lethargy, drowsiness, even passing out or having seizures. Is he doing anything like this?

When was his blood glucose last checked and what was the reading?

I have the best luck getting diabetics controlled when the owners do blood glucose readings at home, and call me with the results. You might consider getting an Alphtrak glucometer, and having your vet or one of your vet's assistants teaching you how to do this. The only way to know if he is getting the right dose is to check his blood sugar.

Another way to monitor is to get urine dipsticks, called Diastix. You stick the paper strip in his urine when he lifts his leg and see what the glucose in his urine is. If it turns brown, he needs more insulin. If it stays turquoise, you may need to give less. If it turns light green, stay at the same dose.

Is he getting a special diabetic diet such as Royal Canin Glycobalance? I find it easier to manage diabetes when the dog is on a low carb high protein diet.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is very sleepy and we had a couole of times where he had too low blood sugar. Trembling in back legs etc. He does not want to eat in mornings. Vet did blood glucose check at 3 pm here and there. Last one was 188. Fructosamine tests run average 244. As he is hard to handle I do not do glucose monitoring at home. Vet does not do glucose curves. We go based on his demeanor and water consumption.

188 is a good reading; how long ago was that?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he is on royal glyco dry and gets topped with green beans carrots and sometimes chicken

Would you be willing to learn how to check his blood glucose, or dip his urine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Two weeks back. He had ear infection and he got meds put in his ear caro? Second round of it. After that we start having problems and vet does not seem concerned. Buddy does not want to eat in mornings past 2 days and back legs are trembling
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That I can do but he also runs anemic. So vet thinks taking blood from vein is better and even he struggled last time to get blood.

If he is not eating, I do not give the full dose of insulin that day; I give half.

If he is anemic, the cause should be found. If he has an underlying illness, that could make controlling his diabetes more difficult.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im concerned to give that amount of insulin when his eating is not up to par. Also is 8.5 units not high for vetsulin?

How much does he weigh?

Some dogs are controlled on 2 units of Vetsulin, others need 10 or more.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They gave him vit B shots but we have idea that he may have cushions but vet said it is very expensive to test and he dies not know if its worth it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He weighs 20lbs
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does..sorry. He is losing some hair and its not growing back. No pot belly effect yet. He is blind though.

Then 8.5 units is not excessively high for his size.

If he has Cushing's and it is not treated, it is not unusual to need higher doses of insulin.

Hair loss is a sign of Cushing's. You could try some melatonin to help get hair to grow back; that sometimes works.

It is nearly impossible to control diabetes well in a dog that has Cushing's, unless you treat the Cushing's.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so what do I do when he does not eat in mornings? He wont touch dry food or anything else for that matter of fact. Comes 11 he may look for food
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im aware of that. Cant treat him for cushions if he is not tested. Tests runs $$$$ and vet is on the line because of age and history

I would give 1/2 dose of insulin if he does not eat. If you get the urine dipsticks, and his urine turns the paper brown, I would give some insulin; I would not skip a dose.

Melatonin and Cushex drops might help some if he does have Cushing's disease.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok then at night give regular dose?

Yes, if he eats.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
At night we have better luck. How bad will it be to give him cooked brown rice in mornings?

It would be OK if that what it takes to get him to eat. Try to add some protein to it: chicken, chicken broth, boiled ground beef, meat baby food.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you. It puts my mind more at ease. He has been diabetic for 4 years but its always something that pops up out of blue.

You are welcome; thanks for the great rating. Please let me know how he is doing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will do. Going to get cushex drops. Thank you

You are welcome.

Thanks for the bonus.

Hi Michelle,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Buddy refuses morning meals and he is at moment eating freshpet chicken and rice which is struggle. Vet gave fluids and B12 injection but has no idea what to do to get him to eat. Every day tgey checked at 11 am and numbers were at 366 after nit eating and 4.5 units of vetsulin at 7:15 am. He told me to go ahead and give Buddy his full dosage of insulin in morning and lets hope he does not crash. Does not make sense and it worries me to give a full dosage to a dog that is not enthuastic about any food at the moment.

If he is 366 he is not likely to crash. If you could check his glucose or even just dip his urine in the morning, that might help you to know if it is safe to give the full dose.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian