Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 8.5 year old miniature schnauzer just had has teeth

My 8.5 year old...

My 8.5 year old miniature schnauzer just had has teeth cleaned and blood work drawn. All of his blood results were normal, except for his ALKP which was elevated to a high level of 944U/L. My vet of 7 years doesn't seem concerned since the level is slightly lower than his results of a year ago. My dog weighs 24 lbs. His GLOB was 4.5 g/dl, the next highest reading of all the results but still in a normal range but toward the upper end of normal. Should I be concerned, do something differently, change his diet or have more blood work drawn to check for liver problems or bone issues?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

Just sent a message outlining his blood work. Was it received by you?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

He doesn't seem to hurt anywhere. Here is what I just sentmy 8.5 year old miniature schnauzer just had has teeth cleaned and blood work drawn. All of his blood results were normal, except for his ALKP which was elevated to a high level of 944U/L. My vet of 7 years doesn't seem concerned since the level is slightly lower than his results of a year ago. My dog weighs 24 lbs. His GLOB was 4.5 g/dl, the next highest reading of all the results but still in a normal range but toward the upper end of normal. Should I be concerned, do something differently, change his diet or have more blood work drawn to check for liver problems or bone issues?

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

I don't think so. He does get a couple of carrots every morning after his 1.5 mile walk. Last week he threw up the carrots shortly after returning home.

3/18/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about your miniature schnauzer. Has he lost or gained any weight? Is he drinking water normally, or excessively?

The elevated globulins do not concern me; we see that in dogs with inflamed gums.

That ALKP is fairly high, but the highest I ever saw was 24,000! If the other liver numbers are normal, then he may not have liver disease. This particular liver enzyme can be elevated in a condition seen in older dogs called benign nodular liver hypertrophy, altho the ALKP is usually in the 400 to 600 range with this.

There is a condition called Cushing's disease, caused by overactive adrenal glands, that can make the ALKP very high.

Dog with Cushing's have very varied symptoms but most of them are drinking a lot of water.

He doesn't seem to be drinking abnormal amounts of water. He has not been gaining weight either. What should I do if anything?

You could start a liver supplement, and have that number checked in a few weeks to see if it is going up or down. SAMe is an antioxidant good for liver disease, and milk thistle has been used to treat liver inflammation for centuries. There is a product called Denamarin that contains both.

You could do a urine test called a UCCR (not just a urinalysis). If that number is ***** he does not have Cushing's. If it is abnormal, then I would do blood tests for Cushing's.

Okay. I'll discuss with my veterinarian.Thank you.

You are welcome! Please let me know how he is doing, and if you have other questions.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?