Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Shih Tzu has horrible allergies. I was using the Apogel…

My Shih Tzu has...

My Shih Tzu has horrible allergies. I was using the Apogel but it has gotten to be so expensive I can’t afford it anymore. We have been giving him 1/2 a Claritin for about 4 days now and he is just licking himself to death. Can I give him a whole one daily?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Roscoe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roscoe?

No otherwise he is very health

3/18/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now with regard to your question, if you are using Claritin (Loratidine specifically), he can have up to 15 mg daily. Otherwise, I would note that you may want to try Cetirizine as that can be dosed 1 milligram per kilogram of their body weight and repeated every 8-12 hours. Otherwise, if costs are an issue and Roscoe is miserable, then speak to his vet about using steroids. They aren't our favorite for dogs as they do have some side effects (weight gain, increased thirst/urination/appetite, etc) but they are very low cost and a low dose may just be enough to keep him comfortable while keeping things affordable too.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian