Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She ate a 75 capsule of venaflaxin. Her name is Cloey and…

She ate a 75...

She ate a 75 capsule of venaflaxin.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 3.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cloey?

She is a cockatoo and weighs 22 pounds

3/18/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear Cloey got this medication. Was it the "prompt" or "extended release" venlafaxine?

This is a high enough dose that it could affect her; how is she doing?

She may have agitation, restlessness, rapid heart rate, dilate pupils, and muscle rigidity. There are medications that can be helpful to get a dog through this, but they are prescriptoin only, from a veterinarian.

I calculate that she got 7.5 mg per kg of her body weight, the minimal toxic dose to see these symptoms, so she might be OK.

If this was less than 2 hours ago you could try to get her to vomit, but if it was longer ago than that it won't help to induce vomiting. You would put 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% in some milk or ice cream and get her to drink it.

I hope you are able to see what I sent. How is she doing?

far, she seems fine.
It is the extended release.

How long has it been now? If anything is going to happen, I would expect to see something by now. The ER will last longer.

Almost four hours.

When I did research before, I think it said it signs would be see within 2 hours, but let me double check; one moment.

Actually with the ER form, it could be longer before you see signs. Vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity. If you see anything, I would take her to a veterinarian for acepromazine and cyproheptadine.

Ok, thanks.

You are welcome; please let me know how she is doing.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
I just gave you a 5/5. Thanks again. I will contact you if I have more questions.

Thanks for the great rating. Please do let me know how she is doing.

Hi, it has been 6 hours. She has urinated twice which is normal for her. She also just pooped. It was solid but glossy. She is alert and does not seem ill.

That is great news; I would expect she will be OK at this point.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
She is fine. Thanks for checking.

Glad to hear it; thanks for the update.