Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She ate a 75 capsule of venaflaxin. Her name is Cloey and…

She ate a 75...

She ate a 75 capsule of venaflaxin.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 3.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cloey?

She is a cockatoo and weighs 22 pounds

3/18/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear Cloey got this medication. Was it the "prompt" or "extended release" venlafaxine?

This is a high enough dose that it could affect her; how is she doing?

She may have agitation, restlessness, rapid heart rate, dilate pupils, and muscle rigidity. There are medications that can be helpful to get a dog through this, but they are prescriptoin only, from a veterinarian.

I calculate that she got 7.5 mg per kg of her body weight, the minimal toxic dose to see these symptoms, so she might be OK.

If this was less than 2 hours ago you could try to get her to vomit, but if it was longer ago than that it won't help to induce vomiting. You would put 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% in some milk or ice cream and get her to drink it.

I hope you are able to see what I sent. How is she doing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
far, she seems fine.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is the extended release.

How long has it been now? If anything is going to happen, I would expect to see something by now. The ER will last longer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Almost four hours.

When I did research before, I think it said it signs would be see within 2 hours, but let me double check; one moment.

Actually with the ER form, it could be longer before you see signs. Vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity. If you see anything, I would take her to a veterinarian for acepromazine and cyproheptadine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thanks.

You are welcome; please let me know how she is doing.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just gave you a 5/5. Thanks again. I will contact you if I have more questions.

Thanks for the great rating. Please do let me know how she is doing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, it has been 6 hours. She has urinated twice which is normal for her. She also just pooped. It was solid but glossy. She is alert and does not seem ill.

That is great news; I would expect she will be OK at this point.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is fine. Thanks for checking.

Glad to hear it; thanks for the update.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian