Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 70 pound golden retriever ate a jar of O'Keeffe's working…

Customer Question
My 70 pound golden...

My 70 pound golden retriever ate a jar of O'Keeffe's working hands cream. What do I need to do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Hogan, 1 1/2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hogan?

Not really. Good Health very strong but chews everything

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/18/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I have reviewed the ingredients in this product and it appears it is only likely to cause GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss) if anything at all. Therefore, while we could induce vomiting if its been <2 hours or use activated charcoal at this point (which I am happy to discuss), we don't strictly need to. You can choose to just take things easy and monitor for today. As well to offset any GI upset, you can consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. And if you were to see loose stools, fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. But otherwise this is a low risk ingestion as long as Hogan didn't eat the jar itself (a blockage risk), and usually we just see short term GI upset for 24- 48 hours with this. So, that is what we'd want to monitor for and focus on reducing as needed.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

*************************

Afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping pets here. : )**