Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 2yr old pitt my moms dogs have kennel cough and my…

Customer Question
I have a 2yr...

I have a 2yr old pitt my moms dogs have kennel cough and my dog has now started hacking and coughing unaccompanied by throwing up. Is there anything I can do to ease his discomfort and the throwing up

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No nothing unusual eaten but the throwing up is what has me worried

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

He is currently on Apquel 16mg tablets 11/2 a day for his allergies. Also he is on ciprofloxacin 500mg tablets i pill 24 hrs till gone. He also takes trifexis once a mth for heartworms prevention

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/18/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if he has caught kennel cough from the other dog, we will need the local vet to dispense antibiotics for him. In the meantime though, as he has a very inflamed throat (causing all her signs), we can try some supportive care. To start, since he is vomiting as well, we may be best to put him onto an OTC liquid antacid (ie Milk of Magnesia - 0.5tsp every 8 hours). That will coat the throat to reduce discomfort but also reduce nausea. Otherwise, we can also try a mild cough suppressant like glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing to the irritated and tickly throat. Typically we will give a 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed. Alternatively, you can try Robitussin DM I would just say to make sure to use this preparation and avoid any similar syrups that may contain other medications like Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine (since these can be toxic). If it also contains Guaifenesin that is okay. Dose-wise, we tend to give this as 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of the dog's body weight every 8-12 hours. Again, these can reduce any possible irritation driving him to cough. Furthermore, while we'd want to withhold food for a few hours, after we can plan to soak his kibble or offersoft foods may also help reduce these signs. But again as this is likely a bacterial infection, we may need his local vet to start a different antibiotic (since ciprofloxacin doesn't always work with this infection). And if we can settle him with the above, we can plan to have that done Monday, but if he is severely irritated with his throat we may need a local ER vet to see him further so we can use strong injectable treatment to just get him settled as quick as we can.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.