Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have 2 dogs. One started throwing up blood, so I took him…

Customer Question
I have 2 dogs...

I have 2 dogs. One started throwing up blood, so I took him to the vet and they have him on all this stuff because they thought he ate something. But now my second one stated throwing up blood

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Bandit, 8 months is my first dog. Scout, 2 is my second dig

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/18/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What tests did your vet do? What did the vets diagnose the first dog with specifically?

What medications is that dog on?

Could either of them have gotten into something harmful?(ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human medications/drugs, etc)?

Can Scout keep any water down?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Bandit had gotten into some naproxen, but scout wasn’t around when he did. The vet said there’s serious inflammation in his stomach, and
Might be perforated and put him on some antibiotics because there was infection. And said that it’s a 50/50 chance he’s perforated. He is on sucralfate, metronidazole, omeprazole, enrofloxacin, And misoprostal. She said she can give him anything for the inflammation because there might be an ulcer

Hello again,

Oh dear that is terrible to hear that Bandit got into Naproxen (GI upset, GI ulcers and kidney damage are always concerns with that). Though perforation in those cases usually is obvious as they tend to be quite painful, febrile and very unwell (since GI bacteria cause peritonitis in the gut on top of bleeding). So, I would hope that isn't a serious concern at this point and just an ulcer (which is serious itself, of course) is present. Though I would just note as his gums are pigmented, we may need to check his inner eyelids to make sure its as pink as Scouts gums are.

Otherwise with both dogs showing signs, we usually would assume shared exposure to toxins or a shared infection exposure (viral, bacterial). So, you will want to update your vet on Scout's development as this may change their concerns. In the meantime though, we'd want to keep treating Bandit as the vet planned as that is covering most of our bases. For Scout, we can take some steps until your vet is open. To start, for nausea and reduce any stomach ulcer risk here too, we can use OTC Omeprazole (More Info/Dose HERE) just as we are using for Bandit. Or it would be fine to try Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, for both we can have them on an an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. And we can give small frequent meals to reduce the stomach being empty and at risk of further damage from stomach acid.

Finally, as dehydration is a risk in these situations, do keep an eye on his hydration. To check that, there are a few things you can look for. Besides gum moisture, make sure his eyes aren't sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check those dehydration signs, here is a good video ( http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html ) to look at. If you do see any signs of dehydration already, that's our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, to see both dogs affected yet only one having gotten into Naproxen rings alarm bells that either they both got into something else or there is a brewing infectious cause for the bloody vomit. So, do start the above for Scout and keep up on Bandit's treatment. Once their vet is open, we may need them updated on this situation and we'd want to potentially add injectable anti-vomiting medication, sucralfate, +/- antibiotics to Scout's treatment as well to ensure we can settle him too.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

*********************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.