Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 3yr old who refuses to eat out of a dish likes to…

I have a 3yr...

I have a 3yr old ***** ***** who refuses to eat out of a dish likes to be hand feed I have left the food over night but still not touched he is so scared of any dish I try

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He is scared of every thing men cars buses but he loves a walk if we don’t go to the above mentioned

3/18/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your dog is not willing to eat out of a dish. I am sorry to hear about the problem this is causing. Have you tried to feed off the floor or on a towel or place mat?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
have tried out side inside he is just so frightened
Phone call session started

I attempted to call, but did not receive an answer. Let me know if you would like me to try again or if you would rather we continue with the text format.

No phone call was here

I called again and received no answer. I need to know additional information before I can give you an answer. I need to know more about your dog's history and current behavior. Based on that information, I can give you a proper response. I am not able to know what is going on with your dog based on the information I have so far. If you wish to continue with texting then please let me know. If you would like a phone call, please let me know a time you are available.

Ring now

I called again and did not receive an answer. The number I am calling is(###) ###-#### which is the number you typed. Please let me know a time to call that is good for you.

04 20604752. Mobile. Home. 02 43338664

This looks like an area code that is outside of North America. I will not be able to complete the phone call request if that is the case. I can still answer the question with text chat though, so I will move on to give you an answer in that way. You mentioned that you have tried to feed off the floor or on a towel. First of all, there are medication options available. Prozac is one that is FDA approved for canine anxiety that is given chronically. Xanax is a medication that can be given as needed for acute flare ups of anxiety. It sounds like that is necessary. A tranquilizer is also often used at light doses to help decrease the elevated response to certain triggers of fear. Acepromazine is an example of a tranquilizer that your veterinarian can prescribe.

Once medications have been issued, then next step is to give food in a location that is completely open and free from sudden noises or movements. Feeding on the floor can help for the time being. Feeding in the middle of a room where he can see everything around him would also be a good decision. Therefore, feeding by a doorway, closet, or busy location like a kitchen should be discouraged. Oftentimes, the things you did before that didn't work will work better when medication is on board.