Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Is there any reason a schnoodle could not eat cinnamon

raisin bread?...
Is there any reason a schnoodle could not eat cinnamon raisin bread?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand you have a question about whether or not your dog could eat cinnamon raisin bread. I can answer this question for you. This answer largely depends on how much bread is offered and the weight of your dog. Can you please provide me his/her weight?

Thanks Dr. Scott. I'm not so much wondering aobut the amount ingested as I am about the ingredients. So no problem with respect to allergy or intolerance, schnoodle breeds, and cinnamon raisin bread?

The only ingredient that concerns veterinarians with baked bread are the raisins. Unbaked bread that has yeast in it can be toxic, but the yeast is not toxic after it is baked. The raisins are the main issue, but this is less of a problem for larger breeds. The toxic dose for raisins is 0.11 oz/kg. So a 50 lb dog would need to swallow 2.5 oz. One raisin equals approximately 0.035 oz, so that would mean a 50 lb dog would need to swallow 71 raisins to reach the potential of a toxicity. That would be a lot of raisin bread, so the toxicity potential is relative to the amount of bread swallowed.

There is always the possibility of causing an upset stomach with a sudden change of food, but that can occur with any food, not just raisin bread.

Does that help to answer your question?

Just checking in. Are we still connected?

Interesting on the raisin toxicity. This is sprouted Ezekiel bread, though baked I believe. Here is link to product and al ingredients: https://www.foodforlife.com/product/breads/ezekiel-49-cinnamon-raisin-sprouted-whole-grain-breadI have given her this bread before - but not the cinnamon raisin flavor - and she loves it. Her name is ***** ***** she is about 15 lbs.

A 15 lb dog could have up to 21 raisins before reaching toxic levels. I would not feel comfortable getting close to that number, but a small piece - especially one without raisins - will be safe to give. Nothing else is toxic in the bread. It contains grains and gluten, so as long as she is not sensitive to those ingredients then she is safe to eat them.

Great answers and advice. Much obliged. I may have to call justanswer,com tech support tomorrow. Trying to give you 5 stars but when I click on star to rate and submit, site is not acknowledging/registering such.

It should be available now. Let me know if it is not. Thank you and take care!

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian