Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

12 o,clock hard lump on anus, inflamed, not anal gland. 6…

12 o,clock hard lump...

12 o,clock hard lump on anus, inflamed, not anal gland

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

***** ***** 6 yo

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the jack's name and age?

Jake 6 yo

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Jake?

6

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jake?

Been on 6 mo of cephalexin for deep skin pyoderma about 7 mo ago

3/18/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Jake has a history of a hard, reddened, mass on the rectum at the 12:00 position. Is that a correct summary? I see he is being treated for a skin pyoderma. Does Jake have a history of licking the rectum excessively or scooting?

No scooting, no licking; he finished cephalexin for deep skin pyoderma 7 mo ago; this mass does not feel boggy like pyoderma leasion; but hard & attached
Any suggestions? He is a febrile, not in distress, no puss came out when lanced

There are a few possibilities for small red bumps that are attached or near the rectum. A common one is an inflammatory reaction, which is usually associated with a scooting or licking behavior - something that is chronically irritating the tissue. An allergic stimulation is another possibility. The points of contact for environmental allergies are the feet, abdomen, and rear end. Chronic allergen stimulation can create an inflamed mass like that. Finally, a tumor can also look like that. The way to find out for sure is to perform a fine needle aspirate of the mass to see what kind of cells are inside. This is examined under a microscope and usually the results are good to get a diagnosis.

The mass was lanced? Was this performed by the veterinarian?

By me, with thin scalpel after applying lidocaine 5% topical; assumed it was pyoderma coming back; no puss just non- malodorous blood, it stopped bleeding, attempted to aspire potential abscess but realized tissue is solid

Ok. I think an aspirate is the next logical choice. This is relatively non-invasive and getting a result is typically good. Poking it with a needle poses a low risk of spreading cancer cells if it happens to be that. It is unlikely to be cancer at this age, but this is where precautions should be taken. If it is from allergic stimulation then treatment is to treat for the allergy. Those types of allergen-related masses typically resolve within 2-3 months.

Does that help to answer your question?

Is there anyway to ascertain it is anything other then cancer without biopsy
If allergen can I do anything to help it to shrink?

The aspirate is actually not a biopsy. It is a needle as apposed to a larger wedge that cuts out the tissue. There are not very good hallmark features to differentiate a reddened, hairless mass as an allergen-related mass from neoplastic growth. Oral Benadryl can help decrease allergy stimulation followed by an antihistamine topical ointment/cream. That could help it to shrink.

Ok thank you

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
***** *****