Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has had one attack of old dog vestibular disease and…

Customer Question
She has had one...

She has had one attack of old dog vestibular disease and that waa back in November. She recovered in about a month but was left with a permanent head-tilt. She also has IVDD and seizures. The last two nights, she can't seem to settle down and she is whining more than normal (she's a very verbal dog). I am just not sure if this is something attributed to her vestibular disease.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

She is estimated to be 14 (she's a rescue) and her name is Vespa.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Vespa?

We think around 14.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Vespa?

Her seizure disorder has been well controlled for over 2 years with phenobarb

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/18/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 4 months ago
Heath Wilkerson

Hi, Dr. W here. Good job controlling her seizures! The vestibular disease can cause disorientation and increased anxiety, so she wouldn't be able to settle down as easily as normal. Also it could be that she is developing CCD (canine cognitive dysfunction) which is sort-of like geriatric senility. When dogs start to develop this they seem anxious and whine frequently. Sometimes they wander the house and seem to get stuck in corners seeming confused. If her symptoms of anxiety continue beyond the last 2 days, you may want to consider trying a medication to help her. If your vet agrees, there are several good medications that can help her think more clearly. If the anxiety goes away on its own after today though then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 4 months ago

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! Please remember to accept my answer, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION (or I will not receive any credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

Hi, De. Wilkerson! I wasn't sure if you had seen my question because there was a glitch on the mobile site when I asked. Today, she is leaning to the left and can't keep her balance. It's hard to judge with her how good her mobility is because she suffers from IVDD and her hind end is paralyzed. I put her in her cart this morning to see if that would help her maintain her balance, but her left front leg keeps slipping in towards the right and she falls over. Her head is lying at 90º to the left and she is softly whimpering when she's awake. Does this sound like what you mentioned before? Or more stroke-like symptoms? Thank you for your help!!
Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 4 months ago

Sorry I din't get it earlier. That sounds like a vestibular flare-up. If she isn't taking Meclizine for this, it can help and it is over-the-counter. A short course of steroids could help as well. The dose for Meclizine (it's what we take for motion sickness) is:

• For vertigo (vestibular disease), prevention of motion sickness/vomiting: 4 mg/kg PO once daily. Practically, 12.5 mg – 50 mg per dog PO once daily.
Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 3 months ago

Hi just checking in to see how it's going?

It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “accept” my answer, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night!

Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 3 months ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Heath Wilkerson
Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 3 months ago

Please remember to “accept” my answer, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night!