Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has been sleeping almost all the day except for walks to…

He has been sleeping...

He has been sleeping almost all the day except for walks to where he is 100% himself and energetic but every other time he has the runns.. but once back home he curls up in a ball and sleeps and does not hear anything I can yell rite at him and nothing till I tap him

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

This is been 2 weeks now

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

And tonight he threw up green bile and a chicken bone

3/18/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your dog has been lethargic, vomiting bile, and having diarrhea lately. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. One of the biggest concerns we have when this happens is the risk of dehydration. This could constitute an emergency, so I am going to recommend a few ways to measure the hydration status. There are two methods. The first is to feel the gums. They should feel wet and slippery normally. If they feel dry or sticky then that is a sign of dehydration. This test only works if he is not panting. The second method is called the "skin tent test." This is performed by gently pulling up on the skin behind the shoulders and letting go when you feel resistance. Count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. Normal is less than 2 seconds. Let me know what you find.

His skin goes back in 1 sec

Great. As long as he remains hydrated then this can continue to be treated at home.

Can you please tell me what is his age?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Phone call session started

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry