Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog started clacimox because of blood spotted in urine…

My dog started clacimox...

My dog started clacimox because of blood spotted in urine today and tonight after 2nd dose i came in the room and she peed the bed, ive never seen her pee the bed, is this caused from the antibiotic

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

Sydney 8 and a third

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sydney?

She was recently disgnosed with cervical ivdd and is taking steroid, nueronton and a muscle relaxor

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi there

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Is she drinking more water lately?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
because of the steroid, but she alwayd drank more

Okay- just wanted to confirm

I dont think that the Clavamox is responsible per se

I think that the steroids have predisposed to a bacterial or fungal urinary tract infection

That combined with the increased drinking has led to the blood and accident

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the dog does pee more from thr steroid, bu didnt ee the bed until tsking the clavimox

Understood

In this instance correlation is not causation

I have never seen first hand or read in the veterinary literature this kind of reaction from Clavamox

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
why do you think the dog peed herself
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
just didnt know if it was mixing of meds, or somet hing else would give a problem, never saw the dog do this

As I said- the irritation from the suspected infection makes the bladder spasm more and makes it harder for them to hold urine in

The mixing of the meds has nothing to do with it

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how long has this been brewing, i saw blood a week ago, today was 1st night dog peed lying there

I cant answer that question :)...not that smart

I would recommend having the urine checked and cultured

It is possible that the Clavamox will not kill the bacteria that are there and we also have to make sure it is not a fungal infection

Make sense?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks one last question, any known side effects to expect, esp mixing with those others

Big side effects with any antibiotic are inappetance, vomiting or diarrhea

No known interactions between Clavamox and Prednisone

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if dog peed once should i expect it again, should i cut consumpition at night

Not necessarily

And never restrict water when on steroids BUT I would cut that steroid dose in half and stop the muscle relaxant

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
just because of taking clavimox

No

This has NOTHING to do with the Clavamox

It has to do with muscles being relaxed, the steroids and increased the the suspected UTI

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
u think the steroids caused uti... why cut roid and relaxer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
will the incotenence go away with the clavimox, will it cause yeast or fungus issues
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian