Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

12 pound 6 month old west just ate 6 thin mint girl scout…

12 pound 6 month...

12 pound 6 month old west just ate 6 thin mint girl scout cookies West Highland Terrier

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the terrier will be able to digest that. What is the terrier's name and age?

Lily, 6 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lily?

Healthy otherwise, up to date on vaccines

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no phone call necessary. She isn't symptomatic. She just ate the chocolate cookies which have cocoa in them.

No problem regarding the phone call, we can probably handle this with the written answer I am typing up ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, thank you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. This probably not too much of a concern in terms of chocolate toxicity since these cookies are mainly are lots of sugar and dough, very little chocolate in fact. However you have a smaller dog so she may well suffer a bout of vomiting and or diarrhoea, but dangerous severe chocolate toxicity would be unlikely.

2. However, if you want to spare Lily any distressing symptoms from eating these cookies then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try to recover the cookies that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed, I will give you a link on how to do this best: LINK

3. However, if you fail to induce vomiting and any severe symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected side effects would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits, more severe symptoms would be unlikely in your dog's case today. Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Lily's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you,

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Lily is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the girl scout cookies incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian