Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I came home and our Great Dane won't move from her dog bed…

I came home and...

I came home and our Great Dane won't move from her dog bed and is shaking. She won't get up even for the offer of a ride or walk. She is has always been skittish and once didn't leave a room for 2 days after fireworks (which we fixed with the adaptil collar) but this seems different. She just peed without moving and I am getting concerned this is different than being too afraid to move.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Great Dane. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Great Dane?

I was able to tickle her toes and she moves her legs (kicking at it) so I don't think we have a sudden spinal cord issue

3/18/2018
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Great Dane girl who has been reluctant to get up and who is currently shaking. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a few things that could be going on here with your Great Dane girl, although it is a relief she is responding to your touch on her back legs. Given her breed and history of being skittish with fireworks, we have to consider everything from a gastrointestinal upset, internal organ issue, primary musculoskeletal issue or even a behavioral problem. Whatever the case here, you are definitely going to need to continue to keep a close eye on your girl. Over the next hours in particular, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Hopefully she wants to get up in the next half hour. If not - then you are definitely best to play it safe and get her seen tonight. Likewise, if she won't drink any water, or starts vomiting and can't keep water down, then please get her seen straight away. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
She is almost 8 and had a check-up 2 weeks ago. We also have her dad (almost 11) and sister and they do not seem to be overly concerned which I am hoping is a good indicator. Current on shots and heartworm preventive, doesn't look like she got into anything (everything still the same, no torn bags, etc.). She ate the chicken we offered her, no vomiting and drinking water from my hand. Thus far cap refill is fine and breathing normally. I put some non-slip mats under her hind legs so if she decides to move she won't get scared or slip. Thank you so much for the detailed instructions, I am going to sleep on the couch next to her and keep an eye on her.

No problem and hopefully she improves in the next little while!

All the best,

Dr E

Hi Maike,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc