Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is unable to move bowels. She has not gone poop for

Customer Question
She is unable to...

She is unable to move bowels

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

She has not gone poop for three days. She is straining but cannot pass anything

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Susie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Susie?

She weighs about 6 lbs and is 14 years old, otherwise in good health

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Susie is uncomfortable, however, I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. If she is constipated you may want to try oral remedies such mineral oil { Liquid Paraffin } which is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your dog's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate for a dog of your one's size would be in the region of half an ml twice a day orally. A small syringe you can also pick up at the pharmacy would be a good aid in administering this product.

{ Until you can pick up the mineral oil you can safely substitute olive oil or vegetable cooking oil }

2. On a home remedy basis one of the other things that might help is canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, this is a gentle stool softener for dogs which makes it a good natural remedy for constipation. You could try one teaspoon twice a day for a dog of Susie's size.

3. But be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the dog, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process and may be related to feeding in some way, this form will often quickly respond to the above common sense sort of treatment.

4. But dogs can appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or other serious diseases, this of course is rare and you would usually see other signs related to this situation. But for this reason if the problem persists or other symptoms appear you should consider having a vet check your dog over sooner rather than later.

6. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Susie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Susie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her suspect constipation ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott