Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We found hookworms in his poop. A dog. Oden and he is 11…

Customer Question
We found hookworms in...

We found hookworms in his poop

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

A dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name and age?

Oden and he is 11 weeks old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oden?

He was just given trifexis as was given his first round of shots today

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. Did you just see these hookworms in your boy's poop today after his trifexis? Were his feces a normal consistency?

I will wait to hear from you,

Dr E

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He just took the trifexis after we found the poop
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My wife noticed he had the worms when he pooped after his meal

Hi again,

Thanks for that. Thankfully the Trifexis will cover him for the hookworms you saw (as well as any roundworm or whipworm he may also have). It doesn't cover him for Tapeworm however, so you will need to get him treated for that in the next couple of weeks if you can. Drontal is ideal for that and your local vet team can weigh your boy again and ensure he gets the right dose of that.

Hopefully his feces are a nice normal consistency, but if he develops diarrhea or goes off his food, then you will need to get him seen by your local vet in the next day or two. Either way, I would recommend a vet follow up again when he is due for his second round of shots so they can carry out a fecal float to ensure he is all ok in terms of the treatment he received having killed the worm burden he had. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hopefully that reply came through? Let me know when you receive it.

Dr E

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It came thru..so should the trifexis kill the hook worms?

Yes - most definitely!

Do keep in mind that trifexis won't kill tapeworm however, so you will need to use a separate product for them ongoing every 3 months.

Dr E

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian