Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is shivering and does not want to go up stairs but

She is shivering and...

She is shivering and does not want to go up stairs but otherwise seems to be walking ok. She has been on medicine for cushings for almost a month. I’m wondering if this is a side effect

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

She is shivering and is reluctant to walk. Her back feels tight. Like she’s very tense.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wounds on her feet

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Sadie. She’s 7. A Lhasa apso

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sadie?

She’s been on medication for her Cushings for less than a month.

3/18/2018
Robert Schwarb

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed veterinarian. If you are available in the next 15 minutes or so I would like to try to help.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am available.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have prednisone that was prescribed to her but am not sure if I should give her a pill.

Hello, sorry about the delayed response

The signs she is showing certainly is concerning and sounds very consistent with back or neck pain. Both of which are potentially cause by intervertebral disc disease (IVDD), is that something Sadie has had signs of before?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am here.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. She’s never had issues before. This started sometime last evening.

The symptoms sounds most consistent with this IVDD and while Prednisone is a potential treatment for that, I would not give it to Sadie since she is being treated for her Cushing's.

My best recommendation would be to try to set up an appointment with your local vet tomorrow or Monday for further evaluation. There hopefully they will be able to say more accurately if this is the cause of Sadie's pain and prescribe you so pain medications to help. In the mean time I would suggest strict cage rest as being too active could make things worse.

Do you have any questions about any of that at this point?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I give her the prednisone or would that react with the trilostane she takes for her cushings? I thought the prednisone was prescribed in case she had a reaction to the trilostane

I would avoid giving the Prednisone at this point as there are other medications that can be helpful without really affecting the effects of the trilostane.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. I have a call in to take her Monday morning. Thank you.

That sounds like a good idea to me. In the mean time, strict rest and monitor her closely. If she starts getting worse, not moving at all, starting to drag her hind limbs, then she needs to go to an ER immediately. Do you have any other questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. No more questions. Thank you.

You are very welcome and hopefully Sadie will make a quick recovery. Just let me know if you have any other questions.

I would appreciate if you could take the time now to accept my answer as that is the only way we can receive credit for our time. Thank you and good luck!

Robert Schwarb
Robert Schwarb
Robert Schwarb
Robert Schwarb