Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has been gagging/hiccuping on and off for a little while.

Customer Question
He has been gagging/hiccuping...

He has been gagging/hiccuping on and off for a little while

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

He is a miniature golden doodle

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes my dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is your Golden's name and age?

Watson, 7 months

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/18/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Watson and the gagging/hiccuping. I know how worrisome something like this can be, especially with a younger puppy. I'm so sorry you are having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in ,what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me:

• How long has this been going on?
  • Will he still eat and drink?
  • Did he get anything unusual to eat or chew on today?
  • Any other symptoms?
  • What happens if you try to distract him with a walk or playing or a ride in the car? Will he do it?

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you.

While I await your reply, I want to let you know these symptoms are not unusual for a young puppy. Puppies in general get hiccups commonly, and sometimes they're pretty severe. Most dogs eventually outgrow this. The combination of the gagging along with it makes me think he's swallowed something irritating to his mouth, throat, and stomach.

It's a good idea to take a good look inside his mouth if you can do that, just in case there's something stuck in there that he shouldn't have been chewing on.

Most of the time, however, these symptoms pass after a couple of hours because whatever the irritating thing was is now gone. In a mild case like that, we would expect the puppy to be able to eat and drink and be somewhat easily distracted with a car ride or by playing.

There's no cause for panic or a trip to the ER if these are the only symptoms he's showing and they haven't been going on for very long.

Does this help to answer your question for now? I want to be as helpful as possible because I know what it's like to worry. Please let me know if you have more questions.

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you today.

Thank you for using our website.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you today.Thank you for using our website.

Just checking in to ask how things are going for Watson. Is he doing better now?

Thank you,

Dr. Jo

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian