Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog just ate at least a quart of bacon fat. We caught him…

My dog just ate...

My dog just ate at least a quart of bacon fat. We caught him with his face in the coffee can.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Obie - 3 year Bernese 110-115 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Obie?

I was told to make him throw up - so we gave 3 T of hydrogen peroxide via syringe about 20 minutes ago. It had no effect - he's playing fetch in the back yard. Occasionally he stops and acts uncomfortable but that's it.

3/18/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i HAVE TO GO OUTSIDE WITH THE DOG. i CAN'T STAY ON COMPUTER.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
PLEASE RESPOND?

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK i'll COME BACK

Friend, bacon fat is not toxic to dogs, but, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, pancreatitis, etc. However, he is a big dog so it is likely that nothing will happen. I would not induce vomiting, I would observe him for the next 24 hours. If he vomits or develops diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg tablet every 12 hours for 1-2 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If he becomes restless or lethargic, abdominal swelling or abdominal pain, pale gums then he should be seen by ER veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Before I contacted you He drank a ton of water and I was told to make him throw up so we start led hydrogen peroxide (3 T). Will that hurt him?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is not throwing up.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Before I got in touch with you, he drank a lot of water and we were told to make him throw up. We gave him 3 T of hydrogen peroxid.e Will that hurt him?

3 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% will not hurt him even if he did not vomit.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay thank you.

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian