Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had 2 puppies. 1 still born and one live

My dog had 2...

My dog had 2 puppies. 1 still born and one live approximately 19 hours ago and is now starting to have more contractions. Could she be having more puppies and how long should I wait for it to come. She has been having contractions for about 1 hour now?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Stella. She is a goldendoodle

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stella?

I don't think so

3/18/2018
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 10 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is this her first litter? Are you noticing any discharge from her vulva?

Yea it is her first litter. Yes some and it looks to be a brownish color

Okay thanks for the additional information. Did she breed with another golden doodle? Since she is having more contraction it is very likely that she could either be having more puppies or she could be passing the placenta. Typically they can have contractions for up to 2 hours or so before they pass another puppy as long as the puppy is in a normal position in the both canal. Do you know how far apart that gave birth between the two puppies that she had already?

with another goldendoodles. It was around 2 1/2 hours between the first 2 puppies

Okay that 2 1/2 hours would be a good benchmark since she is starting contractions now. If she goes longer that 2 1/2 hours without passing something then I would be concerned that there is a problem and recommend medical attention. Otherwise I would just monitor her closely until then.

Ok thanks. I was just not sure at what point I go to the ER Vet as it is a hour from me.

You are welcome. If she is showing any signs of stress outside of what you normally see during pregnancy or she is contracting beyond that 2 1/2 hour period then I would recommend going to the ER vet. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian