Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Vet gave her a cerena injection this morning because she did…

Customer Question
Vet gave her a...

Vet gave her a cerena injection this morning because she did a lot of vomiting. She was not acting sick. Heart rate, color, temp normal. She was begging food (because we had to withhold it due to vomittimg), wanted to play, etc. vet also gave her the fluid injection because of dehydration. Within last few hours, she is acting very ill--can barely stand, totatly lethargic, something is very wrong!!!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She's an 9 yr old terrier mix--weighs about 19 pounds. Very happy and active dog. She won't even walk on her own right now. Just stands and stares into space. She's had this med before--never been a problem. She has frequent stomach issues. They did blood work and checked for pancreatitis about 6 months ago when she had a vomiting spell. Everything came back fine. Decided not to do these tests today--no pain and like I said everything checked out well. She was acting very normal until these last couple hours.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/18/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

You will never see this type of thing with cerenia.......in fact I have given thousands of injections to dogs and cats and have never ever had a problem.....you are correct something is very very wrong and your dog needs to go to the ER right away...what you are describing is life threatening .....Please take your dog to your local ER tonight......asap....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We are at emergency vet now

I am glad to hear that you are and I truly hope your dog will be alright. Let me know if I can offer further help...DRB

I do check my computer every night and would be happy to get back to you if you do have additional questions as this question will stay open for several days.....Good luck! DRB

I would very much appreciate it if you would rate me 5 stars for my very prompt and attentive service. And do let me know if you need any additional help! You can rate me in the top right corner of the page. Thank you very much! DRB

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. DrB

Please let me know if I can offer additional assistance to you. Sincerely, DRB

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian