Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 2 beagles got into my pantry and ate Wilton can melts,

My 2 beagles got into...
My 2 beagles got into my pantry and ate Wilton can melts , the color was “black” but bag says artificial vanilla flavor approx 6 oz between the two diogs somewhere in the past 5 hours I’ve been gone! There was also 2 squares of chocolate flavored candy coating ,
Not sure of time of ingestion
One dog is 40 lbs and the other is 36 lbs
What do I do ?
3/18/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I gave them both Pepcid they are acting OK but wasn’t sure if this candy melts and chocolate candi melt flavored was harmful

Nothing on the ingredient list that I can appears to be toxic and there is no xylitol (not sugar free) so you should be fine but knowing what to monitor for is ideal. I don't think inducing vomiting is advised since we have no idea when this was ingested.

As with any ingestion please monitor for vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite but I suspect you won't see any ill effects from this ingestion.

If GI upset is seen then please take a few precautions:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days

- Leash walks to help the ingredients pass more readily of >15 minutes

- Next meal should be a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if there is this symptom

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

It doesn't sound like the chocolate quantity is enough to be a concern

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I feed them now? Just make rice and chicken ?

I would advise waiting 4-6 hours to feed to ensure there is no vomiting after the ingestion nor nausea since we don't know when this was ingested then smaller more frequent meals of white rice and chicken

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I am going to be signing off for a dinner break unless I can assist with anything else this evening?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you
I’m glad that there isn’t really chocolate in there
I will wait 4-6 hours to feed
They can have water correct?

Yes water in moderation, there does appear to be some chocolate "flavor" but didn't see cocoa listed. You just don't want them to ingest a full bowl of water, just in moderation only

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did awesome coco listed in the chocolate “candiQuik” melts it says cocoa processed with Alkali, corn syrup ..

I am sure it is a small concentration and you had originally mentioned it was just two squares. For their size even if one dog ate both there shouldn't be ill effects outside of potential gi upset

I am going to exit to have a dinner break at this point if there is nothing else?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Enjoy your break and thank you !

You are very welcome, good luck to you all

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION with five stars at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One of the dogs thew up just now from eating the chocolate melts is there anything I can give them or should this pass ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello ?I contacted you earlier at 8 o’clock I am still not finished with this car I know you had to make a break earlier but my dog started throwing up at 2 AM
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One of the dogs is now throwing up from the chocolate melts

I had not received a response from you from 6:42 pm which I responded and then again at midnight so did not receive a response 8 pm so I apologize if it didn't post. It's not necessarily from the chocolate melts but from eating something they aren't used to. I had mentioned this is a possibility and gave directions on how to proceed... how are things going now?

I am online during the evenings, not overnight and hopefully you were assisted by another expert but I did give instructions on if vomiting is seen.

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian