Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 6 month old male mixed bread dog was just neutered two…

Hi my 6 month...

Hi my 6 month old male mixed bread dog was just neutered two days ago and his incision is a bit redder than this morning and seems to have some dried puss on it. I will try to send a pic if you tell me how. Thanks

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

Please read the above incision looks a little infected. Is there some way I can send a pic?

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Samson

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Samson?

No but he has been running all over we try to keep him still and it’s impossible he is crazy.

3/17/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! If you are able to download a photo with the paperclip attachment on your page I am happy to review it. Please give me a few moments to respond after posted, thank you!

Thank you for the photo, it is a little red/ inflamed but not infected from his activity level. It appears it has opened up or "dehisced" a little making the underlying layer appear to be infected but don't think this is the case with the photo. I would urge you to check in with your veterinarian on Monday to dispense some sedatives and evaluate the incision to determine if antibiotics are warranted. In the meanwhile

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 6-8 hours to keep him quiet
- Cool compresses to the incision to reduce redness and alleviate some of the irritation

I hope this helps, I don't think it requires a veterinary er visit but if you have any way of kenneling him, using the benadryl and icing this should get you through the weekend and improve healing time

Please let me know how else I can assist you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION with five stars at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian