Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has been diagnosed with level 3 heart disease not…

My dog has been diagnosed...
My dog has been diagnosed with level 3 heart disease not CHF.
He is taking benazepril and Pimobendan. Is Elanapril better to help with heart contractions etc than Pimobendan?
3/17/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about this situation with your dog. The two drugs - Benazepril and enalipril are in the same drug category, an ACE inhibitor. To be honest, these are the two drugs that can be used interchangeably depending on your veterinarians preference / experience. The Pimobendan is in a different class of medications and it is used in conjunction with one of the other two a lot of times. IN the CHF cases, at some point, Lasix (furosemide) is typically added into the treatment protocol.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In your experience does Pimobedan work?

I will absolutely add in Pimobendan to my CHF cases as they have progression of their disease. IT is something that can absolutely help them to have longer and better lives.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it ok to give Pimobedan with food or better on an empty stomach. If empty stomach is it flavored to help with taste?

In the drug formulary, it does say to give it on an empty stomach. So that is the ideal situation. It can be given with a little food to help it be taken.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will it diminish its effectiveness if given with food?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will it diminish effectiveness if given with food?

Sorry for my delay. Giving it with a large meal could in theory reduce its effectiveness. Is it going to be something overly noticeable to an owner? Most likely not.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you so much.

I'm glad to help. Here is a great link on the mitral valve issues and when these medications are used / and why. I'm hoping for the best for your guy!

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1968

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much. My dog is 40 lbs and was prescribed 10mg Pimobendan once daily. Is that the correct dosage?

Here is what is stated in Plumb's Veterinary Drug Formulary:

Management of the signs of mild, moderate or severe congestive heart failure due to AV valve insufficiency or dilated cardiomyopathy (labeled dose; FDA-approved): 0.5 mg/kg total daily dose. Divide daily dose into two portions that are not necessarily equal (using whole and half tablets) and administer approximately 12 hours apart. (Label directions; Vetmedin®)

So if I was dosing a 40 pound dog with it, I would be doing 1/2 of a 10 mg tablet orally every 12 hours.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is ok to give Pimobendan at same time as furosemide?

I have my clients giving those two at the same time when the dosing frequencies match up.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok great. Thank you so much!
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian