Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has been prescribed Pimobendan for heart disease.

These pills are so large...
My dog has been prescribed Pimobendan for heart disease. These pills are so large and when I cut them they disintegrate into powder. Is it ok to crush them and combine with his dog food?
3/17/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I understand how difficult this medication can be to administer. It does list it is best given on an empty stomach but there is nothing about crushing that is listed as a contraindication as it can be with some medications so if you can give it with a smaller meal or in a pill pocket that would be ideal but if there is little ability to give it without food then it would be better to administer with food then not at all

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION with five stars at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Oh dear I thought it was supposed to be give WITH food! Will food diminish its effectiveness?

That is what is listed on the veterinary formula, "most effective to be administered on an empty stomach" :(

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Ok thank you so much!