Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I tokk my medicine out and it on the table and my dog took…

Customer Question
I tokk my medicine...

I tokk my medicine out and laid it on the table and my dog took it it is icpramipexole .25 mg there was two what should i do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?

Joey

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/17/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Chelsea Schwarb,
 replied 1 month ago
Chelsea Schwarb

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed veterinarian. Can you confirm the spelling of the medication? Is it PRAMIPEXOLE? I need to know the concentration of the medication? And I need to know your dog's estimated weight.

Dog Veterinarian: Chelsea Schwarb,
 replied 1 month ago

It is more helpful if you are online so I can help you better. But, if pramipexole is the drug your dog ingested, then I can tell you the most common side effects and treatment recommendations. It would still be helpful to know his weight though.

GI signs including vomiting within about 30 minutes of ingestion is common even with very low ingested doses. Next, we can see neurological signs including walking like he is drunk (called ataxia), tremoring and seizures. Their blood pressure can get a little low too. The recommendation is to take Joey to your vet tonight for an anti-vomiting medication called Cerenia. We do not want him to have copious amounts of vomiting form the toxicity because this will cause him to become dehydrated. Depending on the toxic dose Joey ingested the vet may recommend overnight hospitalization for IV fluids and monitoring. I think that is unlikely going to be necessary though given the small dose ingested.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
His weight is 30 lbs
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He has not gotten sick and seems okay
Dog Veterinarian: Chelsea Schwarb,
 replied 1 month ago

Okay, thank you. His ingested dose if he ate two of the 0.25 mg tablets would be 0.036 mg/kg. We can see vomiting at doses as low as 0.01 mg/kg. The neurological signs are usually seen at doses of 0.06 mg/kg. So hopefully Joey only gets GI signs of vomiting. If he hasn't gotten sick at this point, then you have the option of continuing to monitor him at home. If he begins vomiting, then you can take him in to the vet tonight for the anti-vomiting injection (Cerenia). Please also monitor him for the neurological signs including ataxia, tremoring, and seizures. If you see any of that then obviously that warrants a trip the vet as well. I'm hopeful he ends up being just fine though!

Dog Veterinarian: Chelsea Schwarb,
 replied 1 month ago

Please let me know if that is helpful and if you have any additional questions or concerns for Joey. Toxin ingestions can happen really quick and be very scary! Again, I think he is going to end up being okay. Just make sure you monitor him tonight.

If you are satisfied with my help I would appreciate if you clicked accept at the top right of your screen and left me a review. Thank you.

Dog Veterinarian: Chelsea Schwarb,
 replied 1 month ago

Good morning. I am checking in on Joey. Did he show any signs of toxicity such as vomiting overnight? I hope he is doing well.

If you are able to hit accept at the top right of your screen I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website credits the professionals for their time helping customers. Thank you.

Dog Veterinarian: Chelsea Schwarb,
 replied 1 month ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb