Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She grabbed a paper with windex she did not eat it but had…

She grabbed a paper...

She grabbed a paper with windex she did not eat it but had it on her mouth for about a minute. Should I be concerned?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

A Maltese weighs 19lbs

3/17/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Okay
No I don’t want a call

I understand that you are worried about your pup having a paper towel that had Windex on it in her mouth for about a minute.

The good news is that she did not ingest any of it.

Windex contains mostly water but also ethanol, soaps and ammonia.

All of these can be gastrointestinal irritants, but the more dangerous ingredients, ammonia and alcohols, tend to be quickly evaporated into the air. It is very unlikely that your pup was exposed to enough to make her truly sick since she didn't swallow the paper towel, and didn't drink the liquid itself.

As a precaution you can flush her mouth with cool water, directing the water stream to the front of her mouth so the water flows out of her mouth.

But I doubt that you will see any effects at all from this very small exposure.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Okay thank you. She has been fine so far, but is there any symptoms I should be concerned about just in case?

Watch for excessive drooling, vomiting, refusing to eat. But I truly doubt you are going to see those things.

I think she is going to remain just fine.

Okay thank you !

My pleasure, glad to help.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara