Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He seems to have pain in his right hind leg. He can't seem…

Customer Question
He seems to...

He seems to have pain in his right hind leg. He can't seem to get comfortable and after laying in the chair he gets on the floor then on to the couch. I believe he hurt his leg from getting down off the chair. I was wondering if advil would be safe to give him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Casey age 6 an over weight 57lb beagle

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

The dog doesn't get a lot of exercise. he gets regular vet care and is not over fed.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/17/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. Advil isn't recommended for dogs. It can actually cause kidney damage in dogs at therapeutic dosages. There are no human OTC pain medications that are considered completely safe for dogs. Enteric coated aspirin (walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm) is the only one that is somewhat safe, but it can still cause gastrointestinal problems, including bleeding, and kidney problems and may interfere with other medications you vet may want to use, so I don't usually recommend it. But, it is the only one that is okay to try if absolutely necessary. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Casey is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian