Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I had our dog to the vet twice. Both times x-rays where

Customer Question
I had our dog...

I had our dog to the vet twice. Both times x-rays where taken.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

He has a bad limp and problems walking. Ricky is only 31/2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

His pads are ruff, but no wounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Ricky

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ricky?

He is a health dog and up to date on all his shots. only the last few months has he had problems

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/18/2018
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 1 month ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

What breed is Ricky?

What part of the country do you live in?

Were x-rays the only imaging done?

Are your dog’s eyes moving back and forth?

Is your dog standing with its legs further apart then normal?

Is your dog swaying? Is your dog walking on an angle and can’t walk a straight line?

Is your dog holding its head at a tilt? Is your dog nausea or eating less?

Were any other tests run?

What did the vet say the issue was?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ricky is a pit bull. He has none of the symptoms you asked. The vet is not sure. No further testing was completed. More like exams.
Thanks
Jane
chat with you soon.
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 29 days ago

Dogs can limp for various reasons. If they do not put weight on the leg, it usually indicates a acl/ccl injury or hip dislocation. If he is putting weight on the leg when limping it is more likely to not be a problem with the knee joint .

Often limps result from soft tissue injuries and rest with strict inactivity will help resolve the issue. The problem with this approach is that until the muscle has healed, there is a good chance it will be reinjured. A pulled muscle is not that unusual.

Now lyme disease can cause intermittent limping and lameness as well. At a minimum I would have your vet do a tick borne disease panel to rule out lyme disease. Read about tick borne disease here:

http://www.cvbd.org/en/tick-borne-diseases/

If testing reveals no cause then it would be time to do imaging. Your vet should recommend inactivity for a week or so (crate rest) with leashed walks to prevent running and possibly an anti-inflammatory medication to help aid in healing and pain.

I would definitely get Ricky tested for lyme disease at a minimum.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner