Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 7 year old female staffy. The last 6 months she has…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a 7 year old female staffy. The last 6 months she has been squatting to urinate often. She will empty her bladder and then straight after emptying she will strain to go again. She does this around 5 times and then she is fine until the next time she empties her bladder. She has had numerous urine analysis done and also a bladder scan and has had 2 courses of antibiotics. All tests have come back clear. In the last week has has started having very runny poo. Other than this she is healthy and active and eating. She has been on Apoquel for around 2 years as she has skin allergies. Can you please offer any suggestions ro help my poor girl, I am desperate. The vet has given her 2 injections of Cartrophen but seems to be at a loss for how to help.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Rubi

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rubi?

Nothing I can think of. She may be drinking a little more water but it is summer and it is hard to tell as I have 2 dogs. Occasionally I have found a bloody, mucus in the yard but only a couple of times.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/17/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Rubi has been having issues with excessive urination and now loose stool. She has had a urinalysis test performed and two different treatments of antibiotics. I am sorry to hear about what has been happening. Would you mind please providing me a little information so that I can best advise you of what might be happening.

1) First, you mentioned the urinalysis tests were clear. Do you know if this means that no inflammatory cells were observed in the urine? An inflammatory cell would be things like red or white blood cells or casts in the urine. This would be found on the urinalysis report, so I am hoping you might have a copy in your possession.

2) Also, was a urine culture ever performed?

3) Finally, how long ago was the last set of antibiotics given?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The vet did mention slightly high White Blood cells in urine. I don't have a copy of report. Urine culture was performed and nothing except white blood cells was found from memory.
It has been around 4 weeks since antibiotics.

The importance of this would depend on how many white blood cells were in the urine. There is a normal amount that is allowed to be there, but there should not be any other cells that would suggest inflammation if this was abnormal. A certain amount of red blood cells are also normal, but if there are a lot of red and white blood cells as well as casts in the urine then that would suggest inflammation. If the urine shows a small amount of white blood cells then this would be a normal urinalysis. If there are cells indicating inflammation, then a scope that examines the urethra and bladder is ideal - this is called a urethroscopy. It will also examine the vaginal canal as well. An ultrasound is less invasive, but it often misses the urethra and only assesses the bladder. Before the scope, I would recommend performing a bacterial culture on the urine to make sure the bacteria are not being missed when looking under a microscope, which can happen if the urine is very dilute. So in summary, a bacterial culture first, followed by diagnostic imaging - a scope is preferred, but an ultrasound is also good.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that is all you can tell me?

Is that not good? It sounds like it is different than what your veterinarian has done so far. They need to perform a culture to make sure it is not an infection. Then move towards imaging to rule out an abnormality with the bladder or urethra. Diagnostics work in a step-wise manner and these tests have not been performed yet.

You mentioned a urine culture found white blood cells. This sounds like a urinalysis and not a urine culture. A urine culture looks at bacteria only. A urinalysis looks at red and white blood cells, inflammatory debris, etc.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well I was hoping you might suggest any possibilities of what might be wrong with her. My vet did mention a scope but has decided on Cartrophen first. You haven't really given me anything to useful to be honest but I guess you are limited to what you can do via these means. I am just so worried that something is seriously wrong with her and also worried about all the costs.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was definately an analysis and then a culture she had. And Cartophen was a last minute clatching at straws idea because they really had no idea why this was happening which suggests nothing was found with these tests.

Cartrophen is used for interstitial cystitis, which is a condition known to occur in humans and cats. It is not documented in dogs, so I can understand how that is a "clutching at straws" idea like you said. Ideas that are on the table are stones in the bladder, ureaplasma, and a mass or polyp on the bladder or urethral wall. Any problem in the vagina could be causing this too, which a culture or urinalysis will not observe. That is why imaging with ultrasound or a scope is important. Regarding the ureaplasma, this is a bacteria that is found on the lining of the bladder. It is often not observed in the urine fluid, so it will not be found on the culture. A biopsy of the bladder wall is necessary to confirm this, which is why a scope is needed for that.

That is the end of the line as far as diagnostic tests are concerned. You have ruled out the common causes with the urinalysis and cultures. Now it is time to move on towards testing for the less common issues such as what we talked about.

Does that help to answer your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They found no stones, polyps, tumours, anything in the bladder so I guess like you say the problem will only be picked up via a scope now and is futher along, not in the bladder. So you think the Cartrophen is a waste of time? They said it will do something to the lining of the bladder which must relate to ureaplasma if that is the problem. Is there anything that could be causing the frequent squatting and loose stools that I should be looking for? Something different to the bladder etc that the vet is currently looking at?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am worried that the two are linked and we are missing something by focussing on the bladder and the frequent urination.

You mentioned a bladder scan, but I am wondering if that means ultrasound or x-rays. There are certain stones that do not reflect x-rays, so they can be missed with that test. The theory regarding the Cartrophen in humans is that it improves the lining of the bladder to decrease inflammation. However, this effect has not been proven to work for dogs and conditions causing inflammation in the bladder have not been documented in dogs. I do not know if it will work in this case, but there would be some other things I would try first. Ureaplasma needs a spcific antibiotic to treat.

The issue regarding the loose stool could be a few different things. The chronic antibiotics could contribute to it. The long term use of Apoquel is unlikely, but this medication is associated with diarrhea / soft stool. An infection in the bladder would not cause loose stool, but stress could contribute to loose stool. This is called "stress colitis" when that occurs. Over-the-counter remedies for colitis are to feed a low fat diet for 3-5 days and over-the-counter Kaopectate.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so I am probably panicking and she will be ok once we get to the bottom of this.
It was an ultrasound that she had on her bladder which showed nothing. All the tests have showed nothing so probe will be the next step. Thank you.

You got it. A scope has to be the next step with the expectation of performing a biopsy of the bladder wall and testing for ureaplasma.

Do you have any other questions I can address?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. That is all I can think of for now.

You are welcome. Take care and let me know if any other questions come up.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will. Thanks for your time.
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian