Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My schnauzer is acting a little weird and I don’t know if I…

Customer Question
My schnauzer is acting...

My schnauzer is acting a little weird and I don’t know if I should take him to an emergency vet or if it can wait until Monday

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

He is breathing hard and has been “tripping” the past couple of days but today is worse

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

He can’t maintain his balance

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

And his head is tilted no pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

And he is eating fine peter

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

14 years

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
He seems perfectly fine except for the breathing hard, no balance and head tilt
3/17/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. Chances are he has a condition called idiopathic geriatric vestibular syndrome. It happens often in geriatric dogs. There can be different causes, but we usually cannot find a clear cause, hence being termed idiopathic. If he is still eating well, it is probably not an emergency, but if it is getting worse, it isn't a bad idea to have him seen by the emergency vet just to make sure there is nothing more serious going on. At the very least, I would just let them examine him to make sure there isn't an inner ear infection. If it was Sunday, I would say you can probably wait, but I would hate for him to go on like this for 2 more days. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Is there a cure for this idiopathic syndrome?

No, but it typically resolves in 1-2 weeks. We just have to manage any nausea and make sure they can eat, drink and use the restroom. It is basically nursing care. A small percentage of dogs may have a permanent head tilt. If there is an identifiable medical cause, then there may be a treatment that helps it resolve faster. Hope this helps.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 3 months ago

Hello. I was just following up to see how Peter is doing and to see if you have any other questions.