Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a lab and although she has always shed she has been…

Customer Question
I have a lab...

I have a lab and although she has always shed she has been losing a much larger amount of hair, some in clumps, which is very unusual. The only thing different is she has been on apoquel for about 1/2 a year. It was a miracle drug for about 2 mos but to be honest it has not worked well for about 3 months. I am thinking it caused this increase in hair loss

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Lucy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?

She definitely has allergies otherwise a sweet healthy dog

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/17/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian

Greetings, I'm Dr. Peck, hopefully I can be of some help.

I would be thinking the hairloss is more likely related to a seasonal change, an allergic dermatitis flare up, and/or other factors (as one example, concurrent hypothyroidism or other endocrine/metabolic change). I have not seen this as a side effect of apoquel, but wait a few minutes and I will double check it's adverse effects studies and write you again...

https://www.zoetisus.com/products/dogs/apoquel/downloads/final_apoquel_pi_030116.pdf

Above is a link if you are interested. I would not suspect the apoquel as the issue. But rather, as you stated it hasn't been working well to control your lab's allergic dermatitis for the past 3 months, I'd also suspect uncontrolled dermatitis related to the alopecia / increased shedding changes you've noted.

I'd suggest following up with your local vet that prescribed the apoquel to discuss adjunctive treatment options, such as hypoallergenic shampoos, sprays, diet changes, supplements, and/or other medications. Our allergy dogs often take a lot of tweaking of treatments to find the right fit to help them, and sometimes this changes with the seasons. I have some owners use apoquel twice daily for flare up periods for up to two weeks, this is off-label but commonly done and suggested as an option by many veterinary dermatologists I've consulted with about this drug.

I hope that answers your question, let me know if you have further comments or questions, write me back and I will reply as soon as I am able to.

Please at this time go ahead and rate kindly using the stars on your screen, this is how I receive credit for helping with your question today, thanks! - Dr. Peck.