Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

8 lb 12 year old Maltese has been on antibiotics for a week…

Customer Question
8 lb 12 year...

8 lb 12 year old Maltese has been on antibiotics for a week and has not had a bowel movement for 36 hours she usually goes twice a day

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Maltese's name and age?

Abby 12 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Abby?

Has been on antibiotics for a week and has not had a bowel movement in 36 hours. She usually has 2 bowel movements a day

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/17/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry no one has assisted you and Abby today. Some antibiotics can cause constipation and there are things we can try to help things along but if she has not gone by morning please consider a veterinary exam to begin treatment and minimize further progression of constipation

Things you can do:

- Increase leash walks which are key to encouraging gi motility, stomach emptying, and defecation. Not playing in the yard but 15-30 minute walks two to three times daily

- Adding fiber to the diet, adding white rice to meals can give the feeling of being full and therefore helps aid in encouraging defecation
- Smaller more frequent meals with water added of the white rice and adding in lean boiled meat which is appealing yet also helps stimulate gi motility

I hope this makes sense. Again if we get through tonight without any change then it is time to consult your veterinarian. Sooner if there is lethargy, straining to defecate without production, or reduced appetite

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Good morning, I wanted to check in to see if Abby had a bowel movement? I would love an update when you are able!

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Hi Ron,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian