Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is bleeding from his rectum. He has bad allege so the doc…

Customer Question
He is bleeding from...

He is bleeding from his rectum. He has bad allege so the doc told me to give him Benadryl. It has been a month and today I notice him bleeding

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He is 10 years old. Never had this problem before he is up to date with all his shot.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/17/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry your dog has some rectal bleeding today which often indicates colonic bleeding. I can give you some basic guidelines for but if there is no improvement then please consider a veterinary er since these signs are signs of colitis (inflammation of the colon). This can lead to more concerning illness and we definitely do not want this to progress. Below is more information on hemorrhagic gastroenteritis or HGE

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/hemorrhagic-gastroenteritis-hge

- Begin Pepcid 0.25 mg/ pound (famotidine) every 12 hours for 3 days to help settle the stomach

- Wait 12 hours to feed to allow the gi contractions to subside that are causing the bloody stools

- Mix white rice with boiled lean meat such as chicken which is high in fiber but also bland to the intestinal tract and enticing to the appetite as well in small more frequent meals. No regular dog food please. You can add water to ensure that there is no dehydration but you also want to do water in moderation because large amounts of water will increase risk of vomiting

- If you are able, getting up and walk. Walks are great in reducing gi spasms, nausea, and entice the appetite but if not up for it that is also alright

Indications of cause for concern:

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration

- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it that is progressing or not resolving in the next 2-4 hours

- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable

- Swollen abdomen

- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest

- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5

- No interest in food for 24+ hours

- No urination for 12+ hours

- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour

- Productive coughing

- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today and I truly hope your dog is feeling better soon.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman