Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Does it harm a dog to drink a little sacarin sometimes? She…

Does it harm a...

Does it harm a dog to drink a little sacarin sometimes?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

She has chronic yeast infection. Took her to the vet and he put her on an antibiotic, decongestant and Prednisone. She was doing better. She then broke 2 teeth and needed them removed. She was put on a different antibiotic for 10 days. It/s been 3 weeks now and she is exhibiting all the signs of yeast infections again. Changed her food to no grain, instead of balanced table food chopped up. She is a Jack Russel Terrior. Vet said not to give her any meat so stopped it. She is not happy with me. Not on any medication now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Prinee.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/17/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Saccharin is not toxic to dogs, so a little should not hurt her. The sweetener xylitol, found in gummy chews and in sugarless chewing gum, is very dangerous, however.

Why do you want to give her saccharin?

Is the yeast infection in her skin?

Please let me know if this is helpful and if you have other questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The yeast infection is inside of her in her ears, in her butt. She is licking herself; paws, vaginal area ,she butt scoots on the floor and uses her paws to scratch at ears and lick it off. She uses paws to scratch and on face. Her eyes have started giving a discharge.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She smells bad and her ears smell like defication. I'm irrigating her ears and using
vets ointment in them to kill it. I started using a medicated dog shampoo yesterday to try to help. Also changed her diet as desacribed before.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
3 months ago she had the same thing and scratched and bite at herself until she was red and raw. Herr fur grew bback but is starting to shed muchly again.

Sorry I was offline for awhile.

The most common reason for a yeast infection, is an underlying allergy causing increased itching and inflammation in moist areas, which leads to secondary bacterial and yeast infections. There are many treatments: oatmeal shampoos, steroids, the new non steroid allergy medications Apoquel and Cytotech, supplements like fish oil, quercetin, probiotics, nettles, and anti oxidants.

Why are you giving saccharin?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She only gets it if I am not guarding my drinking glass and she sneaks a drink, very infrequen.

It will not harm her; not as toxic as xylitol.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how can I get Apoquel or Cytotech for the dog?

These are prescription medications that you can get from your veterinarian.

Apoquel is an oral medication; Cytotech is a monthly injection.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the good rating.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian