Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is constipated and dizzy and off balance. He's a pit.

Customer Question
He is constipated and...

He is constipated and dizzy and off balance

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

He's a pit bull

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the bull's name and age?

Thor is his name he turned 1 in december

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Thor?

He turned 1 in december

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Thor?

Yes. He got into the trash and ate about a quarter of a Styrofoam plate while I was at work and also a lego. I have only had him for about a week so he has had a change in diet because I misunderstood what she said she buys him for food and he got into the cat food and well

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He also seems to be bothered by his left ear and keeps shaking his head
3/18/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Thor, please?

Dizzy and ataxic ("drunken sailor") are signs of intoxication in a dog who has demonstrated a dietary indiscretion as you've described. A plate and Lego won't do this and so I nedd to be concerned that there was something else he ingested. He may not be constipated but, instead, crampy and feeling an urgency to defecate. I wouldn't be surprised if his next movements were diarrheic. His ear could be related to his other signs if an infection has made its way into his inner'middle ear (otitis interna/otitis media).

Thor's vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam including scoping of his ear and X-rays or ultrasound of Thor's gastrointestinal tract.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I called a clinic since nothing close by was open...they told me without a loss of appetite and the fact that he's still drinking plenty of water and is not throwing up it sound's like a non emergency, while on the phone I noticed him messing with his left ear a lot and tilting his head that way. I looked in his ear it's very irritated. The woman told me he seems to just have an ear infection and it can wait until Monday. If he loses his appetite or anything more then bring him in. He has pooped a normal poop today thank goodness and the woman also told me I can do apple cider vinegar with some water put a couple drops in his ear to help clean it up...he has since perked up and is not so wobbly.

Thank you for the good update. You were given sound advice. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian