Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate 2 milk chocolate bunnies (5oz each) and im not…

My dog ate 2...

My dog ate 2 milk chocolate bunnies (5oz each) and im not sure how many easter m&ms (less than 1/3 of bag) he is 38lbs and has thrown up 3x...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Denny, hes about 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Denny?

Hes a rescue. He's not hyper,

3/17/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. He's not acting hyper..is drinking alot

Because it would take nearly an ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight to intoxicate Denny with the theobromine in chocolate (~38 ounces for him) I can tell you that he wasn't intoxicated (vomiting, agitation, tremors soon after ingestion). His vomiting is more likely due to ingesting so much of an unusual food and it did have the value of self-decontaminating him. Hence, there's no need to induce further emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, so he's going to be ok? No need to take him to an emergency vet?

Correct. Don't restrict water but if drinking induces more vomiting, please replace his water with ice cubes for him to lick. He ingested a lot of sugar and salt - both of which will increase thirst. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi again...its later...he has thrown up 7 times now (3x since I last wrote)...his belly is hard and distended...should I worry about that?

Yes, his vomiting needs to be stopped before he injures his stomach. That's done by an injectable antiemetic given by a vet. Medicating a vomiting patient orally isn't appropriate. Once vomiting has stopped tubing him with activated charcoal can hasten resolution of his gastrointestinal distress.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We were gone for a few hours so I'm not sure how long it's been since he vomited. Should I wait to see if he vomits again, or take him to an emergency vet either way?

How is he acting otherwise? Let's back up a bit. I know he ingest 10 ounces of milk chocolate in those bunnies. How many ounces of M&Ms were in the intact bag of which he ingested 1/3 of the bag? Were they individually wrapped or in bulk?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The newest throw up was different than the 4 before, more clear liquid than chocolate color

Oh my. He had a wonderful time. 10 ounces + 1/3 of 11 ounces = ~14 ounces. He wasn't intoxicated but all that candy has wreaked havoc on his gut.

It should be clear...there's nothing left in his stomach and probably nothing in his small intestine either. Expect diarrhea! You can continue to monitor or have him treated symptomatically with an antiemetic and antacid given by injection.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he will recover on his own? He's just going to have the hard tummy because it's upset, but the longer time the better he will feel? No food but water?

I believe so, yes. Correct. Correct. Are you willing to stay up with him for the next 6 hours? I have to leave my computer for the night but another expert can help you if you need help later.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't think I could stay awake all night! It's 11pm now. I can try. What should I look out for?

Yet more vomiting which would need to be addressed as I posted.

OK, how 'bout another two hours?!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can do 2 hours! Ok. So no vomit stay home. Another vomit, head to emergency vet?

Correct! I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I definately will. Thank you so much for helping me through this. So stressful.

It's my pleasure. I'll talk to you soon.

I'm conscious once again. May I have an update on Denny, please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm barely conscious! Stayed up till 2am, no more vomiting. Woke to him crying at 7, he was desperate to go out...he had already peed (alot) in the house. He seems much more alert right now, more energy

He's going to live! ...and he's still proud of what he did...

Thank you for taking the time to let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yay! No diarriah (sp). So we are out of the woods? Just bland diet for a day or two?

No diarrhea...yet. Anyway, yes, we're out of the woods and a bland diet is reasonable but not necessary.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. So expect some when he eats again but don't worry from this pt?

Correct.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That great news! Thank you!

It's my pleasure. There are no lasting adverse effects either.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I cannot tell you how grateful I am for You! Thank you for what you do.

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind words.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian