Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 2 year old German Shepherd we rescued a year ago.

Customer Question
I have a 2...

I have a 2 year old German Shepherd we rescued a year ago. He suffers with allergies. Just constantly itching. My vet has tried several types of medication, and even a series of shots, none of which helped. He is no on prednezone, which does help some. My problem is I don't want him staying on those longter, due to the side effects. What, if anything else can be done for him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the Shepherd?

Ok thank you

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the Shepherd seem to hurt?

Pretty much al over right now it seems to be the worst on his front legs

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the Shepherd's name and age?

He is2 an a half, his name is*****: How old is Ruger?

Just constantly itchy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ruger?

I don't believe so

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/17/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Tom Crippen, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Tom Crippen
Tom Crippen, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, my name is*****'m a vet and hopefully will be able to help.

Can I ask which medications your dog has been on apart from the pred? And also you say the legs are bad, is it the actual legs or feet? Anywhere else on the body? This is important as distribution of lesions can sometimes give us a clue. Has he been diagnosed with allergies - any bloods done, or intradermal skin testing or hypoallergenic food trial? If so do you know what he is allergic to?

Skin conditions are very common in general practice. Initially when you have a skin condition you have to make sure any infection is taken control of before / whilst addressing the underlying cause. They readily get fungal and bacterial infections from constantly biting and licking the skin. We use medications and shampoos for this.

Then there is addressing the cause of the itchy skin. Sometimes with skin disease in dogs we see an additive effect of different things causing itchyness adding together and making a dog super itchy. This is why it is so important to use excellent parasite treatment in an allergic dog, so something that has extremely quick knock down for flweas and that gives you a general coverage for mites.

Before I go into detail about allergies and the possible treatments if uou could get the answers to the above yo me that would be great.

Thanks, Tom

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian