Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is acting like there is something in her throat. Shes…

My dog is acting...

My dog is acting like there is something in her throat. Shes eating grass and trys to vomit but she's not bringing nothing up

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

I know she got a hasbrown from McDonald's outta the trash

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

Daisy 2yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Daisy?

Blue nose pit

3/17/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Daisy is attempting to vomit multiple times and eating grass. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. This started shortly after eating a hash brown from the trash. Is that a correct summary of the situation?

Yea and her tails between her legs. And kinda making a noise as if it was like if you or i was trying to clear our throat

There are a few things we need to try to do to make her feel more comfortable. First, if she is choking then that is an emergency. If she is coughing with rest between each episode then this is likely an acid reflux issue and stomach inflammation called "gastritis." These cases do not usually have something stuck in the throat, but the nausea and "burning" sensation from the stomach acid create a coughing / gagging reflex.

This is treated with medication to decrease nausea and acid production. One of the better options available over-the-counter is Pepcid or Zantac. The Pepcid dose for a 50 lb dog is 10 mg (i.e. 1 tablet) every 12 hours. Withhold all food and water for the time being. If you are observe improvement then you can offer small amounts of water in 2-3 hours. Food can be offered as a low fat diet in 24 hours. Low fat food consist of things like boiled chicken and white rice. Feed in small amounts and continue to offer water only in small amounts at a time.

Does that help to answer your question?

i should try and give her Zantec and observe Daisy? How long does this usually last? And she just went poop and pee right now so is that a good sign right? No need to go to the vet just yet?

If you are able to get the Zantac (dose is 80 mg every 24 hours) or Pepcid (10 mg every 12 hours) to be swallowed without vomiting it up then this should be improved within 1-2 hours. Continue this treatment for 3-5 days. This is not an emergency unless she is having trouble breathing or it does not respond to treatment within 24 hours.

Ok so one more question and ill be out of your hair. Are there any other symptoms besides the obvious having difficulty breathing, that i need to lookout for?

It is no problem at all. That is why I am here. You are looking out for vomiting as well as difficulty breathing as immediate symptoms to be concerned about. If you get relief within the next 24 hours then you are in a good position to keep giving the same treatment for 3-5 days. The next thing you would monitor for is diarrhea, but that usually comes later like in 2-3 days from now if it will occur at all. If diarrhea occurs then the over-the-counter remedy for that is to give kaopectate and a low fat food for an additional 3-5 days. If diarrhea persists for more than 3 days, or if vomiting continues for more than 24 hours, then Daisy should be seen by a veterinarian.

Do you have any questions about that?

Ok thank you very much for your advice it been very helpful.

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
***** *****
Everything is a lot better. Daisy is back to her old self again. Thank you so much for the help. We were really scared for her. Really saved me a ton of money im sure. So thankd again.