Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I'm a dog sitter and one of the chihuahuas I'm watching just…

I'm a dog sitter...

I'm a dog sitter and one of the chihuahuas I'm watching just started developing a cough about every 3 or 4 MIA. He spits up clear saliva.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the Chihuahua's name and age?

Oops every 3 or 4 minutes.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Chihuahua?

His name is ***** ***** he's around 4. His owners are out of town and all I have is a vets name that's on some medicine on the counter but I think it's for one of the other dogs.

3/17/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Floppy has been coughing recently. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. Do you happen to know if Floppy has a history of coughing or if he inhaled anything recently that could have started it? Also, if you are familiar with reverse sneezing, I would like to know if that is what you are observing or if it is a traditional cough. If you are not familiar with reverse sneezing just let me know and I can describe that in more detail. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He was completely fine when I came here around 10 this morning which was about 4 hours ago. He woke up from a nap and started the coughing about once every 3 or 4 minutes and coughs until clear saliva come shooting out of his mouth and leaves a small little puddle of stringy saliva

Thank you. Please bear with me a moment. I am going to type a response and this can take a few minutes. One of the recommendations I will make is to use Robitussin DM. Is this something you have available?

or Mucinex?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No but I can get some he weighs about 8 to 10 pounds how much should I give him?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He's eating some hard food now and it seems to have stopped for a little bit. I'll wait and see what happens after he eats some of his food.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a chance he might be allergic to something that might be blooming in the yard like trees? Would that be a sign of some kind of allergic reaction?

The Robitussin DM dose is 10 mg of the ingredient dextrometorphan. This medication usually comes as a 20 mg per 20 mL concentration. Double check that with the one you purchase because some formulations are different. Therefore, 10 mg would be 10 mL, which equals 2 teaspoons. You can give that every 6-8 hours as needed.

An airway irritant is most likely the issue. Using a saline nebulizer also helps to remove allergens from the airway. This is also available over-the-counter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How would I give him the nebulizer? Try and squirt it up his nose

An airway irritant is most likely the issue. Other causes are not very common at this young age. Using a saline nebulizer also helps to remove allergens from the airway. This is also available over-the-counter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thank you very much for the information. I'm sure I'm just overly protective. It seems to have stopped for now but I will purchase the Robitussin DM and possibly the nebulizer just to have on hand.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a chance the Robitussin could give him diarrhea?

At toxic or chronic doses the symptoms of toxicity include agitation, hallucination, nervousness, dilated pupils, shaking, vomiting, or diarrhea. So yes, at very high doses this can happen, but it is unlikely at the dose we are using it. A nebulizer is a machine that produces steam. There are different kinds, but one that can be used nearby so that Floppy breathes in the steam is best. These often come with a mask that you can use to place close to the nose. It can be used for 5-10 minutes at a time. An allergy can also be treated with an antihistamine such as Benadryl. The dose for that is 12.5 mg (i.e. 1/2 tablet) every 12 hours.

To summarize, a nebulizer and antihistamine is best used for a known allergen. A nebulizer is helpful for any kind of cough by helping to keep the airways moist. Robitussin DM is used more for cases of bronchitis or chronic coughing that does not respond to other treatments.

Does that help to answer your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think I'll try the Benadryl first and see how that works, as I have that on hand. It seems to have stopped for the moment and he's had some hard kibble seems to be okay at the moment. I appreciate your help it's great Peace of Mind especially on a Saturday and the owners are out of the country and cannot be contacted easily.

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your help dr. Scott.
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian