Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

10 year old boxer mix on steroids for chronic bronchitis.

10 year old boxer...

10 year old boxer mix on steroids for chronic bronchitis. With out the meds ( and sometimes even with the meds) she coughs uncontrollably,

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the Boxer's name and age?

Chloe, 10. Her appetite is Out of Control! She has starting eating toilet paper. Our vet says nothing else can be done

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chloe?

She is over weight now by about 15 pounds.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We have tried increasing her food but she continues to wander thru the house at night looking for food.
3/17/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Chloe's coughing. Has she had a chest Xray?

Steroids will reduce inflammation, but they are not a cough suppressant. Sometimes the more you cough, the more inflammation, the more you cough, so you need to break the "vicious cycle" by using a cough suppressant.

You can try Robitussin DM (only the DM formula) at 1/4th the dose on the label for a person. However, with a really persistent cough, sometimes prescriptoin cough suppressants such as Torbutrol (butorphanol) or hydrocodone are needed.

If a chest Xray has not been done, I would consider that.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She has had two X-rays and which have been looked at by an internal med vet. She is on theophylline and cough tabs.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We were hoping either something else could be done to get her off the steroid, or something to reduce her appetite. I know there is a prescription for the appetite suppressant but it seems to be risky.

Theophylline dilates the respiratory tubes, but is not a cough suppressant.

I would ask about a prescription cough suppressant, and if you can get the cough under control, you may be able to gradually reduce the steroids.

There is a prescription appetite stimulant, called mirtazapine. It can cause drowsiness.

Have any blood tests been done to determine why she is not eating?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I apologize Rebecca for the confusion but she WON’T stop eating or searching all night for food. She is eating toilet paper, and other inanimate objects. She has had blood work done for cancer, the one thing conclusive she has allergies.

Sorry I was confused. The steroids are probably making her be so hungry. It would be good to get her off them and I would start by using a cough suppressant.

There is an appetite suppressant, but it probably would not work if she is on the steroids.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Well she is on cough tabs from our vet. We appreciate your insight. Unfortunately if she is taken off the steroids the cough gets really bad.

I would use something stronger than cough tabs, those are for mild, acute coughing. If this were my own dog, I would be getting hydrocodone or butorphanol. You have to suppress the cough, so the bronchial tubes can start to heal, then very gradually wean off the steroids, over a period of weeks or months. You may never get her off the steroids, but you might get down to a dose where you are seeing less side effects.

You are welcome; please let me know how she is doing and if you have other questions.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. We will follow your advise and look into it. Happy St. Patrick’s Day, and enjoy your weekend

Thanks for the great rating; please let me know how she is doing.

Thank you for the bonus!

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian