Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog, a 4 year old Shih Tzu went to the groomers on

Customer Question
Hi. My dog, a...

Hi. My dog, a 4 year old Shih Tzu went to the groomers on Thursday. She was her usual bouncy self on the way in, but seemed to struggle walking home after. Its a little hard to describe, but the movement of her hind legs was not normal, possibly as if she is moving the hip joint but keeping her legs stiff, as if reluctant to bend the knee joint. She now is mostly lying down all day. She shows interest in going for a walk, but after a very short distance wants to stop. It doesn't seem to have improved in 2 days. I guess we will take her to the vet on Monday if there is no improvement, but do you have any advice regarding what might have happened or what we should do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Oh thanks - I wasn't expecting an immediate response! No I cant see any sort of wound, and I cant isolate the problem to one leg - it seems to be both.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Jasmine

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jasmine?

We did asked the groomer to clip her nails including her dew claws. She has had an issue with her hind dew claws before, growing round and cutting into the soft pad. I can't see anything amiss there - but she hates having them done and might well resist.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/17/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 4 months ago
Sheena Christensen

Hi there! I am Dr. Christensen. I am sorry to hear that Jasmine is experiencing some pain. Without seeing her it is hard to say exactly what is going on, but based on the history and the way you describe her movement, I am very suspicious of what is called a luxating patella. That is when the knee cap can pop out of place. It can be very painful, but when it pops back becomes more comfortable. Again, very difficult to say without seeing her. There aren't any over the counter pain medications for dogs, so unfortunately you will have to wait until you get her to the doctor to get medications. They will be able to do a full exam and assess if it is knee or hip pain, perhaps take some x-rays, and determine the best treatment plan. In the meantime, have her rest. Limit activity as best you can.

Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 4 months ago

I hope that was helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions, I would be happy to help answer them. If you have not further questions and are satisfied with your service, your positive rating is really valuable to me. You can do this by clicking on the stars at the top of your screen.

Thank you for your question today. I am wishing you and Jasmine all the best!

Dr. Christensen

Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 4 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sheena Christensen