Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Had diarrhea in his cage, didn’t eat his milk bone or dog…

Customer Question
Had diarrhea in his...

Had diarrhea in his cage, didn’t eat his milk bone or dog bone last night, diarrhea was watery and brown with like a lump of poop in it. I had to drag him out to get him to go outside this morning, and he hasn’t ate or drank anything yet this morning. He did gag this morning but he only spit up a little bit of white foam maybe a tablespoons worth and that’s all. He is about 6 months old Labrador. Has his shots all except rabies.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Ryder

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ryder?

No he is really just not acting right just really out of it, he won’t play with the other dogs or anything just stands in the yard staring around like he is lost. Very not normal behavior for him.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/17/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that Ryder had diarrhea, had an episode of gagging up foam, is lethargic and has lost his appetite.

He is likely dehydrated because he has diarrhea and isn't eating or drinking as usual.

In most cases these symptoms are triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors.
More serious causes in puppies include viral or bacterial infections, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, congenital internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), or a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction.
In a young dog a viral infection (there are others besides Parvo virus) or a foreign body leading to a partial or full gastrointestinal obstruction would be the most likely cause of his symptoms. Not all dogs with viral infections run a fever initially, sometimes they are too weak to mount a fever response. Worms can cause loose stools, but rarely cause vomiting and lethargy.
Because he is young, this has been going on for more than a day, and especially because he is so lethargic ideally he would see a veterinarian now. Young puppies dehydrate easily and he needs fluids.
If that isn't possible for whatever reason there are some things we can try at home, but we cannot replace in clinic intravenous fluids and injectable medications so if he isn't responding quickly he should see a veterinarian promptly.
To try and settle his stomach you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and may help him feel less nauseous and hopefully improve his appetite. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.

I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow his stomach to settle after the acid reducers.

In a couple hours when you give him water make sure it is in small amounts only. If he drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. To get some electrolytes in you can also offer a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water.
In 12 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get additional fluids into him. If he refuses that, you can offer a little meat baby food. If he refuses both then he needs hands on veterinary care as soon as possible.
But if things go well and he does eat the bland diet and doesn't vomit feed him the bland diet for 3 to 4 days then slowly start to mix back in his regular puppy food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert him back to his regular diet.
If he continues to refuse to eat even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), or has a lower than normal temperature (less than 99F), has a tense painful belly, he should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs, intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Well worth checking at least a couple fresh stool samples too as parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently and they may be picked up on the second sample or third test even if the first is negative.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara