Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My year and a half old frenchie won't eat kibble or wet food…

My year and a...

My year and a half old frenchie won't eat kibble or wet food this morning. He had a vaccination on Monday, had a very intense play session on Thursday. He ate yesterday but not much water. Nothing today...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Bear, born on 10/19

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

So a year and five months

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it possible to get a phone call?
3/17/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Bear. I'm so sorry you are having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. I also want to apologize for the long wait you've had for a veterinary expert to respond to your post.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in ,what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me what your question is for me today.

And, yes... I can also do a phone call.
I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My number is+15412311195

I'm glad you're there. We have to do the phone call through the website, however. Do you see a place on your screen where you can click to 'REQUEST A PREMIUM SERVICE"?

We can also keep chatting this way, at no additional charge to you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh thank you. His stomach is making lots of noises. Maybe a bacteria?

Thank you for your reply.
It's always so helpful to assist people when it's early in the course of their pet's problem, because I know they're caring and concerned and want their pet to get relief as quickly as possible.

The difficulty comes when it's so early in the course of the problem that the symptoms are too mild to narrow down to any specific thing. Bear's loss of appetite this morning could be due to dozens of different things...

(typing more)

With that in mind, carry on with your day as usual, offering opportunities to rest and play. Be sure to keep a close enough eye on him so that if he does develop vomiting or diarrhea, you'll know about it. This will give him the chance he needs to try to get over this on his own.

While we cannot really know what's causing these symptoms at this time, I can let you know it's not likely to be from his vaccination. Vaccination reactions usually occur in the first 24 hours after the shot, and then go away.

(typing more)

Most of the time when a young, otherwise healthy dog like this stops eating, it's because of a minor upset stomach from something he or she found to eat. It may or may not be accompanied by vomiting or diarrhea. In these cases, the symptoms simply go away on their own after 24-48 hours. This is so common that the typical rule is that every dog with an upset stomach (appetite loss/vomiting/diarrhea) is entitled to a 24-hour period of fasting before veterinary attention is needed, AS LONG AS everything else (attitude, breathing, energy level) is okay.

I know what it's like to worry, though, and if your "Mom Instincts" tell you something is seriously wrong, it's always better to go to the vet sooner rather than later. It can be a "better safe than sorry" situation.

With that in mind, however, sometimes we recognize that - even though we hate to see our patients feel poorly at all - they have to get sicker before we'll ever even be able to figure out what's wrong.

And all to often they get better before that happens.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks a million. Will watch over him for another day.

Does this help to answer your question at this point in time? I want to be as helpful as possible because I know you're worried.

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you today.

Thank you for using our website.

Sounds like a good plan. :-)

Just checking in to ask how Bear is doing today. Are things any better?

Thank you,

Dr. Jo

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You’re so kind..yes he’s better. Sleeping a lot but he did eat a little. Will see how the day goes.
Thanks a million:)

Oh, good! I'm so relieved to hear he is on the mend. I was worried. Thank you for taking the time to send me an update.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

If that's it, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you today.

Best wishes to Bear for a speedy recovery, and thank you for using our website.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian